[Whonix-devel] [qubes-users] whonix-15 TB in dvm on Safest has whitelisted sites in NoScript by default

scurge1tl scurge1tl at cock.li
Thu Sep 19 17:50:00 CEST 2019

Patrick Schleizer:
> Whonix source code doesn't write literally googlevideo, netflix,
> outlook, etc. anywhere. It does not do anything to give special
> treatment to any websites.
>
> By policy, for simplicity, clean implementation and whatnot, the
> "inside" of Tor Browser isn't modified by Whonix. This is
> elaborated here:
>
> https://www.whonix.org/wiki/FAQ#Does_Whonix_Change_Default_Tor_Browser
_Settings.3F

>  Tor Browser upstream issue. Bug report written just now.
>
> wipe all mentions of netflix, paypal, youtube, ... from noscript in
> Tor Browser

> See also:
>
> https://www.helpnetsecurity.com/2015/07/01/researchers-point-out-the-h
oles-in-noscripts-default-whitelist/

> https://thehackerblog.com/the-noscript-misnomer-why-should-i-trust-vjs
- -zendcdn-net/

>> From noscript FAQ:
>
> Q: What websites are in the default whitelist and
>
> https://noscript.net/faq#qa1_5
>
> Q: What is a trusted site?
>
> https://noscript.net/faq#qa1_11
>
> Whonix forum discussion:
>
> https://forums.whonix.org/t/noscript-with-security-slider-at-safest-pe
rmits-around-30-sites/8160

>  Cheers, Patrick

Hello Patrick, thank you for the reaction.

Just shortly: Tails fresh install 3.16 or 4.0-beta TB don't have this
issue. Even it starts on "Standard" by default of course. Fresh
install of TBB on win7 doesn't have the issue. It seems to be
qubes-whonix (dont know how is ti in non-qubes-whonix) specific for
some reason.

I believe that if one sets the security setting to "Safest", she for
sure didn't meant to be tracked by entities like google, youtube,
microsoft, yahoo, paypal and others - the worst surveillance
capitalists on this planet.

Interesting is that the issue with the whitelist can be easily
"solved" just by clicking on the Standard security setting and than
again back to the Safest -> no "Trusted" websites anymore, zero. Can
you please check deeper on this issue? Thank you!

Weird ^^