[Whonix-devel] Whonix testing (was: Re: [qubes-devel] More regular point releases schedule?)

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki marmarek at invisiblethingslab.com
Mon Feb 18 02:58:44 CET 2019

On Sat, Feb 16, 2019 at 04:12:00PM +0000, Patrick Schleizer wrote:
> Marek Marczykowski-Górecki:>> Other prudent tests:
> >> Check if torbrowser starts from anon-whonix and DispVM. I could add test
> >> to "whonixcheck --test" which checks that Tor Browser indeed ended up in
> >> user home folder and has expected hardcoded version number to automate
> >> that as well if deemed useful.
> >
> >> ("--test" or so meaning "for use in automated testing after template build")
> >
> > Does it mean "whonixcheck --test" should be run in addition to
> > "whonixcheck --verbose --leak-tests"? Or one contain the other?
>
> That's up for consideration. Both ways are ok.
>
> I guess an additional --test would be fine.
>
> Note: --test does not exist yet.
>
> Meanwhile "whonixcheck --verbose --leak-tests" will be a good start.

Added:
https://github.com/marmarek/openqa-tests-qubesos/commit/433b562d7d2cc51b6c0c2bb82205badb95c436e9

Example run: https://openqa.qubes-os.org/tests/1220
See "Logs & Assets" tab for detailed logs.

Note those tests are still scheduled manually. My plan is to
automatically schedule them when updates are uploaded to testing
repositories (applies to both individual packages and whole templates).
But it isn't done yet.

BTW I have a little problem with "unwanted packages" check. For
integration tests, I install several packages in templates, needed by
some tests. This include "python-pip" (because some python packages are
too old or unavailable in Debian for tests to work - applies to python-uinput and
python-dogtail). This makes "unwanted packages" check to fail.
For now I've completely separated whonixcheck run from other tests, but
this means I need to install templates for tests twice - which adds
about 30min to the whole test run. Not a big deal right now.
It would be probably unwise to disable "unwanted packages" check.

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab