[Whonix-devel] torsocks stream isolation support

David Goulet dgoulet at ev0ke.net
Mon Oct 27 15:50:09 CET 2014

On 27 Oct (14:46:52), Patrick Schleizer wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> In Whonix we make heavy use [1] of stream isolation.
>
> Using a wrapper that dynamically creates torsocks 1.x config files to
> force them all through different Tor SocksPorts. It's really not a
> pretty solution.
>
> I noticed, torsocks 2.x does not support being given a config file by
> using a command line option?
>
> If that were the case, then we'd be kinda hosed in Whonix. Without
> --config-file /path/to/config as well as without --ip --port options,
> there is no way we could pre-configure various applications going
> through different Tor SocksPorts by default.
>
> Could you add a --config-file or preferably add stream isolation support
> to torsocks please?

I can surely add that. But for the time being, you can on the command
line use an environement variable for that. See torsocks.8

TORSOCKS_CONF_FILE=/path/to/file torsocks ...

My plan is to actually deprecate -u/-p (user/password) and change it to
something like "--new-circuit" or similar, add the IP/PORT option to
connect to Tor and the -c/--config for what you ask.

Might be in the next release, I'm not sure yet.

Cheers!
David