[Whonix-devel] Looking for mirror hosts! - Mirroring instructions updated

Whonix | Privacy and Anonymity OS newblogpost at whonix.org
Sat Apr 12 21:00:05 CEST 2014

TLDR / Short
Want to mirror Whonix releases?

Updated instructions can be found here:
https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Hosting_a_Whonix_Mirror

Full Story

At the moment we're still using sourceforge as primary download mirror, because there is a problem with mirror.whonix.org and non-https downloads. That is, for better security, we asked to get whole whonix.org to be added to HSTS Preload List before we had mirror.whonix.org in mind. Now some browsers rightly attempt to enforce https on mirror.whonix.org, which our mirrors do not support. Changing whonix.org hsts settings would take a long time until it hit major browsers and operating systems (not sure if Debian stable uses a hard coded hsts list).

Therefore soon mirror.whonix.de will become Whonix's primary download mirror.

Our short/mid term plan is to get a stable http mirror network, getting in touch with lots of mirrors. Our long term plan is getting sslmirror.whonix.org. About the latter idea, you can read more here:
https://mailman.stanford.edu/pipermail/liberationtech/2014-March/013129.html

This post has been automatically cross-posted by whonix.org/blog To see the original (including links), go to https://www.whonix.org/blog/looking-for-mirror