[Whonix-devel] Sourceforge forum/bug tracker; Download source

adrelanos adrelanos at riseup.net
Wed Sep 25 21:07:23 CEST 2013

Jason Ayala:
> People are still posting on the SF forum and issue tracker?

Probably because everyone using Whonix 0.5.6 has old links on it's
desktop and because sourceforge is higher in search results.

> How can we fully migrate to the new forum and github issues?

My only plan for now is: getting Whonix 6 out, which will happen soon.
When testing the release candidate goes well, this can be done within
a week or so.

> Another annoying thing about SF is the google results!

Indeed!

Hopefully with the next release, we get the release announcement
mirrored again in so many blogs, that the new url will overrule the
old one. (Due to google counting more links to whonix.org.)

> (or going BitTorrent only)

Not sure if BitTorrent only is a good idea.

> will really help us move off SF.

I had in mind to remove everything from sourceforge (including project
description) and only using download links. But that wouldn't help
much. Other projects didn't fill out anything on sourceforge ever
people sharing a download link still won't share
https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Download, but share the most direct
download link. The link on whonix.org is two clicks away and the one
on sourceforge is one click away. So when people share links, they go
always the path of least resistance.

> Finding a good download source

This is actually very difficult. The full story (all notes) about
Whonix's infrastructure are here:
https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Dev/About_Infrastructure

Most hosting services are not suited, because file size is too big, or
would cause too much traffic or because they don't offer a file
hosting service at all:
https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Dev/About_Infrastructure#Reviewed_Hosting_Services

There is still hope, there is still a list of hosting services which
we could ask if they were to provide direct download links for Whonix:
https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Dev/About_Infrastructure#Hosting_Services_to_be_reviewed