[Whonix-devel] Plastique kwin style & Widget Style

scarp scarp at riseup.net
Fri Oct 18 16:32:22 CEST 2013

It looks like when ubuntu-lowfat settings were pulled in the default
kwin style and widget style was changed to the old KDE3 looking
Plastique style.

This is probably less tested than Oxygen, and will probably have less
continuity with GTK+ applications. I also read here
http://blog.qt.digia.com/blog/2012/10/30/cleaning-up-styles-in-qt5-and-adding-fusion/
they're removing it from the default Qt5 base install.

Maybe we should change this default back to Oxygen (the default for
the KDE4 distribution). It's also the default in practically every
distribution that ships KDE, so that means it's going to be better
tested, especially with third party applications, where those
unfortunate rendering bugs often crop up.

As silly as it sounds, it might also turn people off using Whonix if
it is ugly, especially if they've come from a recent version of
Windows or MacOSX.

We can easily accomplish this change by changing the value PluginLib
in kwinrc (this is for the window border decoration)

   -PluginLib=kwin3_aurorae
   +PluginLib=kwin3_oxygen

We would also need to change the WidgetStyle in kdeglobals

   -widgetStyle=plastique
   +widgetStyle=oxygen

We should also create a file that is put in ~/.kde/share/config/gtkrc
which contains:

   include "/usr/share/themes/oxygen-gtk/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
   gtk-theme-name="oxygen-gtk"

and one in ~/.kde/share/config/gtkrc-2.0 which contains:

   gtk-alternative-button-order = 1
   include "/usr/share/themes/oxygen-gtk/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
   gtk-theme-name="oxygen-gtk"

This way new users won't have to do anything to make it look proper again.

- --
scarp | A4F7 25DB 2529 CB1A 605B  3CB4 5DA0 4859 0FD4 B313